I've been nominated for the Peace Corps!! For years I have grown up envisioning myself joining and living in "black" Africa, speaking African dialect, interacting with orphaned or disease-infected children/infants, and all of that was in vain. Instead, I have been nominated for North Africa/Middle East (so either Jordan or Morocco unless they add/subtract a program) to leave in September of next year. The nomination description was to work in a "small village" where I'll teach English (secondary level) and establish groups for girls to empower young women. I feel extremely bipolar about all this. For one, I'm sooo disappointed that I won't be returning to "my Africa" and that my plans have been shattered. On the other hand, I also am really excited for this crazy-awesome experience!! I'll learn Arabic, see a different part of the world (that most Americans, unless they're there for war, don't get the chance to see), and completely step outside of myself. After much debate I've determined that, if I pass medical/dental clearance and get accepted, I will go anywhere Peace Corps sends me, under the assumption that it's where I'm meant to be. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment